Unbeaten and No. 3 Duke beats Boston College 90-53
BOSTON (AP) — Chelsea Gray couldn't suppress her happiness after picking up her 10th assist of the game. And she couldn't hide it afterward when she talked about matching Dawn Staley's conference record with a second career triple-double.
"I'm not surprised," Duke coach Joanne McCallie said after Gray scored had 18 points with 11 rebounds and 10 assists to lead No. 3 Duke to a 90-53 victory over Boston College on Sunday. "She'll be getting a lot more of those, I'm sure."
Gray had nine points, eight rebounds and seven assists in the first half, when Duke scored 12 of the first 14 points and made it 32-5 just 11½ minutes into the game. She was stuck on nine assists until McCallie told her to "make a nice pass" in the final minutes — and she did, hitting Richa Jackson for an open jumper with 56 seconds left.
That tied her with Staley, who led Virginia to three Final Fours and a NCAA title game and also won three Olympic gold medals, as the only players in Atlantic Coast Conference history with more than one triple-double.
"It feels good. It's exciting to hear that," Gray said. "When it went in, I went back and tried to hide a little smile."
Tricia Liston had 17 points, scoring 12 during a 20-0 run that put the game away, and Jackson scored 16 for the Blue Devils (13-0, 3-0 ACC), who remain the only unbeaten team in Division I. Top-ranked Connecticut lost to No. 5 Notre Dame on Saturday; No. 2 Baylor entered Sunday's game against Oklahoma State with an 11-1 record.
Kristen Doherty scored 17 points and added six rebounds for BC (6-7, 0-2). The Eagles lost their third consecutive game, including a 76-70 loss to then-No. 23 Florida State — the only other ranked team they have faced this season.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
COLLEGE BASKETBALL VIDEOS
- 79875Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16375OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12357Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12103Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12064Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 10249Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9002How to help tornado victims