Share “UNC releases documents as part of settlement”

UNC releases documents as part of settlement

Associated Press Modified: October 26, 2012 at 4:32 pm •  Published: October 26, 2012
Advertisement

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) — The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill has released documents outlining violations by football players for receiving improper benefits as part of a settlement to end a public-records fight over information from an NCAA investigation into the program.

The university also paid $45,000 in legal fees to media outlets, including The Associated Press, as part of the settlement.

The university said it had provided everything it could without violating federal privacy laws. A judge ruled in August that academic-misconduct violations were protected, but that improper-benefits violations weren't covered.

The school will release additional documents Nov. 5, including the school's response to the NCAA's notice of allegations and the accompanying exhibits that includes previously redacted information.

Friday's release covers violations by players Robert Quinn, Charles Brown, Kendric Burney, Michael McAdoo and Deunta Williams from 2009 and 2010. The documents were reviewed by NCAA investigators before issuing sanctions in March.

"There is nothing new," UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham said Friday afternoon. "We knew all this information. The NCAA knew all this information, and now the public will have all of the information. But again, the reason it wasn't released initially was to protect the rights of the students. And we are now responding to a court's determination of what is protected and what is not as opposed to trying to interpret the law."

The NCAA had released details of Quinn's violations — more than $5,000 in improper benefits, including receiving black diamond watches from a Miami jeweler and travel accommodations there — when it declared him permanently ineligible in October 2010. Friday's documents included a handwritten statement from Quinn, who said the jeweler told him he didn't work for an agent and that he "just took him as a new friend."

"I would say my actions were not the smartest, but I am truly sorry," Quinn wrote in the school's request for the NCAA to reinstate him and allow him to play.

Quinn, Brown and McAdoo — who was later declared permanently ineligible for academic misconduct — missed the entire 2010 season. The school said in 2010 that Burney missed six games and Williams four for receiving improper benefits connected to travel, while Burney missed an additional game due to an unresolved academic issue.

The school's reinstatement requests said Brown and McAdoo received "minimal" benefits connected to trips to Atlanta and Washington, D.C., respectively.


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    KFOR: Wewoka residents afraid of drinking brown, murky water
  2. 2
    Tulsa man arrested on 19 complaints after high-speed pursuit
  3. 3
    Federal lawsuit filed against Sapulpa Public Schools in connection with rape allegation against...
  4. 4
    Fox News announces prime-time GOP debate participants
  5. 5
    Did Sen. James Lankford fall into the 'man trap' on abortion?
+ show more

FEATURED JOBS



× Trending sports Article