University of Central Oklahoma student groups call for removal of on-campus Chick-fil-A
The Chick-fil-A location in the University of Central Oklahoma's student union is one of the university's more popular campus dining options. Now, a group of UCO students wants to see it gone because of the company's stance on gay rights.
EDMOND — The Chick-fil-A location in the University of Central Oklahoma's student union is one of the university's more popular campus dining options.
Now, a group of UCO students wants to see it gone.
Members of the UCO Skeptics and the Student Alliance for Equality stood outside the food court in UCO's Nigh University Center on Wednesday and Thursday collecting signatures on a petition to have the restaurant removed from campus.
UCO student Kyle Brower said the two student groups oppose the restaurant's presence on campus because of the company's well-publicized stance on gay rights.
Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy drew a firestorm of criticism and boycotts from pro-gay rights groups earlier this year when he voiced his opposition to same-sex marriage. Cathy's remarks led to an unofficial Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day, in which supporters flocked to the restaurant in droves.
The groups began planning the demonstration before the company's social stance came to national attention, Brower said. Long before Cathy's remarks, the company gave money to anti-gay marriage groups like the Family Research Council.
Most of the passers-by have been familiar with the Chick-fil-A controversy, Brower said, and reaction has been mixed. About 350 people had signed the petition by noon Thursday, but Brower said others have said they saw the matter as a First Amendment issue.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 81615Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14276Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8057Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7469Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7367How to help tornado victims
- 6230Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 5754Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'