University of Oklahoma lighting ceremony embraces all religions
The holiday season officially got under way Wednesday at the University of Oklahoma in Norman with the lighting of a Christmas tree and menorah, and speeches that embraced all religions.
NORMAN — The University of Oklahoma marked the beginning of the holiday season Wednesday with the lighting of a Christmas tree and a menorah at David A. Burr Park on the OU campus.
The Singing Sooners and the OU Wind Symphony Brass performed holiday music; Santa Claus and his elves paid a visit; and university President David L. Boren and others spoke briefly about embracing all religions.
Finals preparation week starts Monday, and finals week is Dec. 10-14. Classes will resume Jan. 14.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 15155OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10481Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 7111Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6362Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 6344Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5951Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4162As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in