University of Oklahoma suspends student charged with molestation
The University of Oklahoma suspended student Christopher Ray Flores after the former Norman teacher's aide was charged with lewd molestation.
Flores was accused of slamming an elementary student's head through a glass door and tying students down and putting socks in their mouths in one of the federal lawsuits. Lawsuits also contained allegations that Flores and/or the primary teacher in the classroom had used improper strangleholds on children and punished children by placing them in a dark isolation room.
The Norman School District reached confidential settlements in all three federal lawsuits. The state case is pending.
Parents said a complaint was lodged with Norman school officials in 2001 or 2002, alleging Flores took a student home with him during the school day.
Shelly Hickman, spokeswoman for Norman Public Schools, said privacy laws severely limit what school officials can say about complaints they have received and how they responded. She said school officials could release more information with signed releases from parents and former students, but so far The Oklahoman has been unable to obtain such releases.
Bishop said OU takes steps to screen students in its teaching program.
“When students enter the OU teacher education program, they must attest that they have no convictions of any kind related to minors,” Bishop said. “Mr. Flores signed such an agreement. In addition, all OU students in this program must agree to any background check conducted by school districts for any school district in which the student participates.”
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in