University of Phoenix to close West Oklahoma City, Owasso locations
The University of Phoenix announced plans to phase out 115 locations nationwide, including the university's West Oklahoma City Learning Center on SW 3 St. in Oklahoma City and another center in Owasso. The university's main Oklahoma City campus will remain open.
Photoview all 6 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The university doesn't have a date in mind for when it will close the West Oklahoma City Learning Center, Rauzon said. University officials will develop that plan after speaking with students enrolled at the site about their plans for completing their degrees. About 30 students are enrolled at that location.
No students are enrolled in classroom-based courses at the Owasso site, he said, so that location will be closed fairly quickly. Students have used the location as a kind of student union, meeting with learning teams or using the computers for coursework.
Rauzon said the closures represent a shift in the university's student population. About 70 percent of the university's enrollment is online, he said. While that population of students is robust, he said, it creates less demand for classroom space.
Closing unused or underused locations allows the university to focus more of its resources on its online offerings, he said.
The Associated Press
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 15993Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12289Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 11194OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9941Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9689Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8745Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 8728Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated