Unlike some states, Oklahoma's unclaimed property program works as intended
Every year for the past several, the Oklahoma treasurer's office has set up a booth at the state fairs in Oklahoma City and Tulsa to return unclaimed property to taxpayers. It works. This year, more than $250,000 in cash and stock were returned to fair attendees in Tulsa. About $190,000 was given back during the Oklahoma State Fair.
NewsOK Related Articles
Unclaimed property includes bank accounts, security deposits, overpayments, royalties, rebates, and stocks and bonds that are turned over to the treasurer's office when the businesses holding them lose track of the owners. The fair appearances are highly visible examples of what the office actually does year-round. Its website makes the unclaimed property division easy to find, and the treasurer's office occasionally uses tabloids in newspapers to reach out to Oklahomans. During the 2012 fiscal year, about $18.5 million in property was given back to its owners.
Residents in other states aren't as fortunate. Treasurer Ken Miller notes that unclaimed property funds comprise the third-largest source of state revenue in Delaware. In an effort to help their state recover from the economic downturn that began last decade, lawmakers in Colorado amended statutes to make more unclaimed property revenue available to patch holes in the budget. More than half the states direct unclaimed property proceeds to their general funds.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates