UPDATE: Man with rifle and machete shot dead by Midwest City police officer
A Midwest City, OK, police officer shot and killed a man Monday who was armed with a rifle and a machete.
MIDWEST CITY — A man shot and killed by a police officer Monday “acted crazy” and was armed with a rifle and a machete in a woman's backyard, Midwest City Police Chief Brandon Clabes said.
The woman called police about 7 a.m. and said she heard an explosion in her detached garage at 609 Lions Park Place. She said she did not know the man in her yard but that he was an acquaintance of her husband.
Clabes said an officer arrived and confronted a shirtless man on the east side of the house who was holding a rifle and a machete. The man refused to drop the weapons.
“At that point, the suspect continued toward the officer and pointed the rifle at him. The officer fired several shots, striking and killing the suspect,” Clabes said. “From all indications at this stage of the case, the officer had no choice but to use deadly force.”
The officer, whose name was not released, has been placed on administrative leave pending the criminal and administrative investigation. Multiple witnesses were brought to the police department for statements.
“We're seeking search warrants for the property now and trying to identify the suspect. There is evidence of a fire inside the garage, and the suspect had burns on his upper torso,” Clabes said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort