UPDATE: Sasakwa man, 19, dies in school bus collision near Wewoka
A school bus from Sasakwa with 23 children aboard was involved in a Seminole County crash early Thursday that closed State Highway 56 and left a 19-year-old dead.
12:25 p.m. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol has identified the man who died in the Thursday morning crash involving a school bus.
Shane Denton, 19, of Sasakwa, was pinned inside his vehicle for about 30 minutes, and was pronounced dead at the scene by Wewoka paramedics, troopers said.
Denton tried to swerve to miss a vehicle driven by Claudia Olivo, 62, of Holdenville, but hit Olivo's vehicle then hit the rear of the school bus broadside, troopers said.
Seat belts were in use, the patrol reports.
10:50 a.m. Superintendent Kyle Wilson said 23 students were aboard a Sasakwa school bus that was involved in the crash Thursday morning.
The bus had stopped to pick up students about 7:30 a.m. when a car rear-ended it, Wilson said. Paramedics treated and released students at the scene who complained of minor injuries, he said. One student was taken to a hospital by parents.
The family of the person who died has not been notified yet, Wilson said.
A Sasakwa teacher was in one of the three cars involved in the collision with the bus, Wilson said.
9:40 a.m. WEWOKA — One person is dead in a collision Thursday on State Highway 56 south of Wewoka in Seminole County, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol reports.
The highway is closed because of a collision involving a school bus and three cars, patrol spokesman Capt. George Brown said.
The person who died was in one of the cars, Brown said. No other injuries were immediately reported.
The collision occurred about 8:25 a.m. 7 miles south of Wewoka.
Check back to NewsOK.com for more information.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11552Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10742OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6888Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5464Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5395Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4853Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 4694OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins