Urban chickens are a divisive issue
A new Oklahoma City councilman, along with some city residents, are pushing to allow chickens within city limits. There is absolutely no way this could go wrong.
I was in south Oklahoma City this week when I heard a rooster crow. It was shortly before noon, so the rooster was either lazy, had a terrible biological clock or was confused about why he wasn't on a farm.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 6 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The debate about urban chickens is a hot one. Chicken cheerleaders have been pushing their cause to the Oklahoma City Council recently. They want legalization of their backyard bird buddies. Ward 2 Councilman Ed Shadid is their main ally. Urban chicken proponents would like to see Oklahoma City join the ranks of Bethany and Midwest City as places that allow the birds.
For now, local urban chickens are living the renegade lifestyle, hopping around their yards in fear that they may be confiscated at any moment by authorities. Honestly, they probably aren't all that worried. They're chickens.
But their owners are worried. Owning chickens is a balancing act.
Chicken owners want to live in town so they can be close to all the conveniences — like the grocery store, where you most certainly will not be buying eggs unless your chicken gets sick or a fox gets into the henhouse or something — but they don't want to leave Henrietta or Chickadee or Attila the Hen behind.
Chickens are a divisive issue.
If only the issue were over less controversial meats, like herring. You never hear an argument about urban herring.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13429Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 13120OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10230Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 8771Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7569Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5530Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5367Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?