US consumer borrowing rises to record $2.75T
Many consumers have been reluctant to build up credit card debt, which typically carries steeper interest rates than other loans.
Credit card usage has fallen sharply since the 2008 credit crisis. Four years ago, Americans had $1.03 trillion in credit card debt, an all-time high. In October, that figure was 17 percent lower.
During the same period, student loan debt has increased dramatically. The category that includes auto and student loans is 22 percent higher than in July 2008. That reflects in part the fact that many Americans who have lost jobs decided to go back to school to get training for new careers.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 20415Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7078Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7023OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6616OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5593Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4449Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4211Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater