US home sales rose to 5-year high in 2012
Rising demand for homes has persuaded builders to step up construction, which adds to economic growth and hiring.
U.S. builders started work on homes in December at the fastest pace in 4 ½ years, the government said last week. And builders finished 2012 as their best year for residential construction since the early stages of the housing crisis.
The gains in home building helped boost construction hiring in December by 30,000 jobs — the most in 15 months.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11552Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10742OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6888Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5464Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5395Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4853Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 4694OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins