Use caution shopping this holiday, AAA says, online and in parking lots
The hectic holiday shopping season means parking lots full of people and safety hazards and the heightened possibility of theft. But thieves aren’t just looking to steal newly-bought Christmas gifts, they’re also after your identity.
“We hope these tips keep shoppers motoring on their merry way, protecting drivers and consumers from seeing the Grinch during this busy time of year,” said AAA Oklahoma spokesman Chuck Mai.
Parking Lot Safety
Eliminate distractions. Turn off and stow cell phones. Set up navigation and GPS devices before starting to drive.
· Watch for pedestrians. Remain cautious of pedestrians on crosswalks and moving in-between and behind cars. Be alert especially for children who are not always paying attention.
· Learn to play the outfield. Outlying areas have more spaces, lighter traffic and a lower risk of collision.
· Don’t put yourself in a tight spot. Avoid parking between a pair of tall SUVs, minivans or pickups where it might be hard to back out of the space. If you can’t see well enough to back out safely, get help from one of your passengers.
· Buckle up. Even a low-speed collision can result in injuries. Make sure that everyone is strapped in a seat belt or child car seat while the car is in motion, even if it’s just a short trip to another part of the parking lot.
Keeping Your Identity Safe
To safeguard your personal information as you shop this season, AAA Financial Services offers these tips:
Use cash or credit only. Compromised debit information puts your money at risk because the card is directly linked to your bank account. Credit cards offer greater consumer protection and less liability than your bank card.
Clean out your wallet. Don’t carry excess credit cards or your Social Security card with you. For the cards you do carry, keep a copy of all account numbers and phone numbers in safe place at home.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21368Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17546Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12345Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9430Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9175Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9080Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8212Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense