Usually slow-starting Grizzlies lead NBA at 13-3
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Sitting atop the NBA standings is new territory for the Memphis Grizzlies. Just getting off to a fast start is unusual.
The Grizzlies, who usually stumble out the gate, are a league-best 13-3. They've never had a better record after the first 16 games of the season. They were 11-5 in 2005-06 and 10-6 last season.
Coach Lionel Hollins and his Grizzlies list several reasons for the great start, ranging from scheduling to preseason preparation to better chemistry.
Guard Mike Conley credits a different mindset at the start of training camp for the turnaround. He says the Grizzlies already were in shape and in mid-season form mentally for their season-opener.
So far, so good.
The Grizzlies are the NBA's best after a 108-98 overtime win over Phoenix on Tuesday night.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13287Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12869OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11351Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 10099Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8083Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5913Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 5414Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers