Utah Valley slugger Kallunki drafted by Padres
OREM, Utah (AP) — Utah Valley slugger Goose Kallunki has been drafted in the 27th round by the San Diego Padres.
He was the 825th overall pick in the 2012 Major League Baseball draft on Wednesday.
The Orem native led the Wolverines to their third straight Great West Conference regular-season and tournament titles and to a school-record 47 wins.
The senior first baseman also played a major role in the team's 32-game winning streak.
Kallunki leads the nation with 86 RBIs and was Great West Player of the Year. He is a semifinalist for the Dick Howser Trophy and the Golden Spikes Award.
He batted .419, hit 18 home runs and had a .734 slugging percentage.
Kallunki is the fourth Utah Valley player drafted since 2006.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14038Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 9697OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6648Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5284Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5183Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5164OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5129Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater