UW QB Smith remains doubtful for Cal Poly game
CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) — Wyoming quarterback Brett Smith, who was carted off the field last weekend in a game against Toledo, remains doubtful for this Saturday's game against Cal Poly, coach Dave Christensen said Tuesday.
"It's a day-to-day deal, it's doubtful for this week," Christensen said.
Smith was strapped to a backboard and wheeled off on a stretcher to the local hospital in the fourth quarter during Saturday's 34-31 loss to Toledo in Laramie.
The exact nature of the injury wasn't disclosed but it appeared Smith to suffered a head injury while being tackled on the sideline by two Toledo defenders. As one Toledo player was pulling Smith down from behind, another came in and hit him in the head, sending Smith hard into the ground.
Smith was last season's Mountain West Conference freshman of the year, setting a conference record for total offense by a freshman with 3,332 yards in 2011.
UW's offense was finally looking like the one fans expected when Christensen was hired in 2008 away from Missouri, where he was the offensive coordinator.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims