Share “VA, federal prisons pay for transgender...”

VA, federal prisons pay for transgender treatments Published: May 14, 2014

Parts of the government, including the Veterans Affairs Department and Bureau of Prisons, pay for treatment of transgender veterans and inmates who qualify due to a diagnosis, according to USA TODAY.

The VA won't pay for veterans to have sexual reassignment surgery, but it will provide for hormone treatment and counseling for those who qualify.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Prisons 2014 legal guidelines, inmates diagnosed with gender dysphoria "will receive a proposed treatment plan to promote the physical and mental stability of the patient.''

See this story on