Va. to lift lane closures for holiday travelers
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — The Virginia Department of Transportation is making it easier for Thanksgiving travelers to reach their destinations.
Most lane closures on major highways will be suspended from noon Nov. 21 until noon Nov. 26. However, long-term construction zones will remain.
The agency says it also has created and posted online maps showing expected periods of heavy traffic on interstates.
Travelers likely will encounter the heaviest congestion on Nov. 25 in the afternoon and evening.
The Virginia-Virginia Tech football game in Blacksburg is expected to create congestion on Interstate 81 on Nov. 24 between Roanoke and Christiansburg.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 51863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14915Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9511Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7474Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6783Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 6733Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims