Vegas officer, wife and son dead in murder-suicide
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A police lieutenant, his wife and son are dead after an apparent double murder, suicide and arson at their home, authorities said.
Clark County Sheriff Douglas Gillespie and other officials didn't immediately identify the police officer or the family members on Monday. Identifications would probably be made sometime on Tuesday.
"There was an incident today involving one if Metro's lieutenants," a somber Gillespie said in brief statement to reporters. "Several bodies were discovered."
Gillespie, the elected head of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, said the lieutenant was a 20-year veteran of the force. Gillespie spoke of "untold grief" for family members, friends and co-workers. He took no questions.
The sheriff said the investigation in Boulder City, about 20 miles southeast of Las Vegas, was being handled by police in neighboring Henderson.
Henderson police spokesman Keith Paul said a man called 911 at about 8:20 a.m. Monday and told a dispatcher he killed his wife and child, set his house afire and would shoot anyone who approached.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13287Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12869OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11351Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 10099Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8083Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5913Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 5414Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers