VeriFone, Safeway, Tesla are big movers
NEW YORK (AP) — Stocks that moved substantially or traded heavily Thursday on the New York Stock Exchange and the Nasdaq Stock Market:
VeriFone Systems Inc., down $13.65 at $18.24
The electronic payments company's forecast disappointed due to the weak European economy and problems with big customers.
Safeway Inc., up $2.84 at $22.97
The grocery store chain's customer loyalty program is boosting market share, and its profit rose more than Wall Street expected.
Berry Petroleum Co., up $7.43 at $46.02
Oil and gas producer Linn Energy LLC is buying the drilling company in a stock deal worth about $2.5 billion.
Heckmann Corp., down 12 cents at $3.56
A Jefferies analyst downgraded the drilling services provider's shares, citing slower activity in the oil and gas fields where it operates.
Tesla Motors Inc., down $3.38 at $35.16
The electric car maker's loss deepened on higher production costs for the new Model S, but it predicted a small profit for this quarter.
HomeAway Inc., up $3.34 at $28.38
The vacation rentals website's revenue outlook for this year beat analysts' expectations and Raymond James upgraded its shares.
Rubicon Technology Inc., down 85 cents at $4.92
The maker of LED chips predicted a deeper-than-expected loss and lower sales in the current quarter due to dropping prices.
ParkerVision Inc., up $1.78 at $4.21
A Florida court sided with the company's interpretations of key terms in a patent case against mobile chip-maker Qualcomm Inc.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 81135Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 32459Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction