Villanova tops No. 22 Syracuse women 77-75, 3 OTs
SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) — Laura Sweeney scored a season-high 29 points and Rachel Roberts added 20 to help Villanova upset No. 22 Syracuse 77-75 in triple overtime Saturday.
Devon Kane, who hit a game-tying layup at the end of regulation, added 10 points for Villanova (19-6, 8-7) in just the second three-overtime game in Big East regular-season history.
The first was a triple-overtime thriller that saw Georgetown beat Miami on Feb. 9, 1993.
Villanova jumped ahead 58-53 in the first overtime but went scoreless over the final 3 minutes as Syracuse (22-6, 10-5) rallied to force another extra frame. Carmen Tyson-Thomas missed a layup with one second left that could have won it for the Orange.
"We've been gutting it out lately, but we haven't been making the shots when we need to. The other team seems to make every shot when they need to," said Villanova coach Harry Perretta. "In this game, too, they made every shot they needed to make in the first overtime to get a tie. Lucky for us, they missed that last shot."
The Wildcats snapped their cold streak in the final extra frame, opening with an 8-2 run to pull away for good.
"We were just meant to win today. I don't know why, but we were." said Perretta.
Both teams shot 36 percent, with Syracuse making 30 of 82 shots and Villanova 28 of 77, but the Wildcats knocked down 11 3-pointers compared to just five for the Orange.
Kayla Alexander and Tyson-Thomas each scored 22 points and grabbed 11 rebounds for Syracuse in the losing effort.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad