Visit to workers' comp court pays off nicely for Oklahoma legislator
Coming from any other venue, a $61,000 judgment awarded to state Rep. Mike Christian for injuries suffered in an auto accident would have been surprising. For the Oklahoma Workers' Compensation Court, it was business as usual.
NewsOK Related Articles
A judge deemed that Christian, R-Oklahoma City, was on the job when he got hurt in the February 2009 accident, and so awarded him $342 per week for 180 weeks — a cool $61,560. That doesn't include medical costs.
Christian's accident occurred while carpooling to the Capitol with his wife. He contended he was “on duty” at the time because he was driving from his south Oklahoma City district, his “duty station.”
He waited more than a year to file his claim. Records from Christian's doctor showed that in the weeks after the accident, the lawmaker said symptoms from the accident had resolved themselves. Now Christian says he may need surgery on his neck. Judge Bob Lake Grove found that Christian has an 18 percent permanent partial disability in his neck and the same amount in his back.
Injuries suffered by employees while commuting to and from work usually don't qualify for workers' comp benefits. The judge noted an exception to the law that allows benefits when the employer pays travel expenses. Legislators can get mileage reimbursement for one round trip per week to the Capitol. Although Christian had waived that reimbursement, the judge said the exception still applied.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 12879Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10775OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6990Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5542Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5510Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5081Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 4971OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins