“When I see the Starman, I sit there and think, ‘OK, is that Norman Public Schools? Is that Oklahoma City Public Schools? Who is that?” Watson said.
Kennedy said staff members developed the logo that was presented Monday night.
District staff members started surveying students and staff about a new logo in August 2011.
Kennedy said it would cost about $5,000 to change the logo on buses and vehicles, among other things.
The old Parker Elementary School, 12700 NE 42 in Spencer, was declared surplus property. It can now be sold.
The board opened up the bidding process for the downtown charter school, John W. Rex Elementary, 500 W Sheridan.
The school will accommodate up to 500 students in prekindergarten through sixth grade.
The construction budget is $14.25 million.
The board opened bids for $5.7 million worth of projects at three elementary schools.
Construction plans call for four classrooms and a gym at Parmalee, three classrooms and a gym at Hillcrest and three classrooms and a gym at Pierce.
Carrie Coppernoll, Staff Writer
MORE FROM NEWSOK
AT A GLANCE
The Oklahoma City School Board awarded several contracts at Monday's meeting:
• Metropolitan Air Conditioning Service Co., $785,000 for chillers at F.D. Moon Academy.
• NCS Pearson, $600,000 for supplemental reading materials for district elementary schools.
• Johnson Controls Inc., $361,000 for chillers at Parks Elementary.
• Hardesty Team, $317,000 for chillers at Nichols Hills Elementary.
• Learning Sciences International, $50,000 for professional development, an addition to the company's $237,000 contract approved earlier this year.
• Triumph Learning, $50,000 for class materials geared toward Common Core standards.
• Alpha Plus, $35,000 for professional development at Emerson High School.
CARRIE COPPERNOLL, STAFF WRITER