Walgreen CEO compensation slips in fiscal 2012
Walgreen CEO Gregory D. Wasson's total compensation slipped in fiscal 2012, as earnings sank 21 percent and a contract dispute hurt revenue for the nation's largest drugstore operator.
Wasson, 54, received compensation valued at about $12 million for the fiscal year that ended Aug. 31, according to the Deerfield, Ill., company's annual proxy statement filed Monday. That represented a 1 percent drop compared to fiscal 2011.
Wasson, who became CEO in 2009, received a $1.3 million salary, which represented an 8 percent increase from the previous year. The executive also received a performance-related bonus of $1.2 million that was 57 percent smaller than the previous year. Stock and option awards totaled $8.9 million in the recently completed fiscal year.
The CEO also received $657,304 in other compensation, according to the proxy. That consisted largely of an executive deferred profit sharing plan and dividend equivalents on unvested restricted stock.
Walgreen Co. runs more than 8,000 drug stores in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. It earned $2.13 billion, or $2.42 per share, in fiscal 2012, as revenue slipped less than 1 percent to $71.63 billion. Its stock climbed about 2 percent to close fiscal 2012 at $35.76.
Wasson told analysts in late September that the fiscal year had been challenging, but it also had been a very important and strategic year for Walgreen, which made key acquisitions during the year.
The company's earnings fell in part because it had recorded a $434 million gain from the sale of its pharmacy benefits business in the previous fiscal year. Walgreen's performance also was affected in fiscal 2012 by its split with Express Scripts Holding Co., which runs prescription drug plans for employers, insurers and other clients as the nation's largest pharmacy benefits manager.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 77840Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16227OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13741Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12057Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11953Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 11115Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 11023Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma tornado victims identified