Walk-on Barker has been winning target for Gophers
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A.J. Barker is third in the Big Ten with 231 yards receiving through three games. He's tied for third in the league with four touchdowns.
His next accomplishment will be getting a scholarship to go with those gaudy statistics.
Coach Jerry Kill told Barker during preseason camp he had to prove his durability in order to work his way up. He still is, essentially, since the official two-deep position chart doesn't even list him on it.
Finally able to run at full speed with his hamstring problems behind him, Barker has shown his speed. He has instincts to snag the ball in the air, as he showed with an NFL-like adjustment for a throw to the edge of the end zone on Saturday in Minnesota's 28-23 victory.
Minnesota (3-0) hosts Syracuse (1-2) Saturday night to close the nonconference portion of the season.
Follow Dave Campbell on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/DaveCampbellAP
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 64379Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31540Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 30680Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 16244Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 7370Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6239Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4310Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman