Waltrip to enter Daytona 500 with Swan Racing
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Michael Waltrip will enter the Daytona 500 this season with Swan Racing.
The two-time Daytona 500 winner will drive the No. 30 Toyota in a one-race deal. The team will use full-time driver David Stremme the rest of the season.
The season-opening Feb. 24 race marks the debut for the team under new owner Brandon Davis, who has vowed the No. 30 car will no longer "start and park." In the team overhaul, Davis hired crew chief Tony Eury Jr. and competition director Steve Hmiel.
Eury, Hmiel and Waltrip worked together at Dale Earnhardt Inc., where Waltrip won the 2001 and 2003 Daytona 500s. Waltrip and Eury were paired together for 26 races in 2005.
Waltrip will bring with him an engine from Toyota Racing Development.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 18732Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 15952Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 10745How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 2753Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 2638Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say