Wanderers add 2 imports ahead of A-League debut
SYDNEY (AP) — The Australian A-League's newest club, Western Sydney, has added two imported players to its lineup, bringing its squad closer to completion ahead of its debut match against Central Coast on Oct. 6.
The Wanderers announced the signings on Tuesday of Italian Lacopo La Rocca from Swiss club Grasshoppers, and Ethiopa-born Dutchman Youssouf Hersi, who has played in the Netherlands, Greece and Cyrpus.
The signings bring the Wanderers roster up to 19, just short of the minimum of 20 it needs for its inaugural season.
Coach Tony Popovic said La Rocca and Hersi were "two players we've followed closely, obviously through the networking we've got in Europe."
La Rocca is a versatile defender and Hersi an attacking player capable of playing in midfield or up front.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 30214Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 19534Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7073OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6093Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5026OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4433Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3498Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater