Washington organizing society for us
Why is the country so embroiled in wealth envy lately? What is “greed”? What is “fair share”? I had assumed that the problems facing the economy were due to the economic illiteracy of a few in Washington, D.C. However, it's become apparent that one must assume everything going on is intentional. We're witnessing a Marxist movement. So we should look to the great economic minds for the answers.
NewsOK Related Articles
Henry Hazlitt, the eminent economic journalist and economist, said this about Marxism: “The whole gospel of Karl Marx can be summed up in a single sentence: Hate the man who is better off than you are. Never under any circumstances admit that his success may be due to his own efforts, to the productive contribution he has made to the whole community. Always attribute his success to the exploitation, the cheating, the more or less open robbery of others.”
Another great economist, Milton Friedman, said this: “What is greed? Of course none of us are greedy; it's only the other fellow who's greedy! The world runs on individuals pursuing their separate interests. ... In the only cases in which the masses have escaped grinding poverty ... they have had capitalism and largely free trade.” As for “fair share” or “fairness,” who's to decide what someone else's fair share is?
Friedman asked, “Who are these angels who are going to organize society for us?” I can assure you there are no angels in Washington, D.C.
Douglas C. Tate, Elk City
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims