High school football: Wayne's Louden Johnson is Oklahoman's Player of the Week
Johnson accounts for four touchdowns as Bulldogs beat Minco, the only team to beat the 2011 state champs
WAYNE — Wayne's Louden Johnson shrugs off the game he put together last week in a 46-12 football win over Minco.
“I kind of got lucky last week,” Johnson said. “It's more of a team thing. The ball's just came my way, and this is really one of the best lines we've had in awhile. They're really, really getting after it.”
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Luck played a part — especially on his two defensive touchdowns — but the junior still put together a memorable performance. Johnson scored on interception and fumble returns on defense; he ran for a pair of touchdowns on offense despite having his carries reduced dramatically due to an injury that necessitated a temporary position switch.
Johnson earned The Oklahoman's Player of the Week honors for his performance, which also included a two-point conversion run.
“Those two defensive touchdowns really set the tone,” Bulldogs coach Brandon Sharp said. “He didn't have to carry the ball very much, but he ran the ball really hard when he did.”
It took Johnson just two plays to find the end zone.
On Minco's first drive, cornerback Ryan Welch deflected the ball into the air on a pass, and Johnson took it 30 yards for a score.
“As soon as he swatted it, I caught it in stride and just kept going,” Johnson said.
Then, with Wayne leading 20-0 late in the first quarter, Minco was threatening.
A Nathan Bruehl hit on a Minco ball carrier popped the ball free, and Johnson was once again in the right place at the right time.
He returned the fumble 93 yards for a touchdown to put the defending Class A champions up 27-0.
“We really didn't have to look back from there,” Sharp said.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 18478Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8171OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6350Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6186Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6108OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4747Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4683Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater