Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Pitek, from Buffalo, N.Y., played soccer for the Crimson Tide. She graduated last month with an English/psychology degree. She aspires to be a college soccer coach. •Another tough call: A controversial call that replays showed to be a bad decision by an umpire proved critical in Alabama's opening-round loss to Arizona State. In Saturday's elimination game against Arizona, a call by the home plate umpire (Tom Topping) went against the Crimson Tide. The game was tied 1-1 in the fourth inning. Alabama had the bases loaded with two outs. Brittany Rogers hit a come-backer to the circle. UA pitcher Taryne Mowatt fumbled the ball, recovered and flipped the ball to her catcher for a force to end the inning. Unlike Thursday's game, when television replays clearly showed a line drive was foul but ruled fair that resulted in two runs, replays this time were inconclusive whether Dani Woods' foot hit the plate before UA catcher Callista Balko caught the ball. •Good sports: Throwing out the first pitch in Saturday's losers' bracket session between UCLA and Florida was Sara Tucholsky, Liz Wallace and Mallory Holtman — who became famous for their display of sportsmanship earlier this year.
Emily Pitek wore a pink sombrero, shorts and cowboy boots to Saturday afternoon's Alabama game."The sombrero is my rally hat,” Pitek said. "I busted it out two years ago in the Super Regional against Stanford, and they made it to the World Series. This was an elimination game, so I had to bust it out.”
Videoview all videos
May 31The Oklahoman's Mike Baldwin explains who's going home...
May 31Taryne Mowatt and the two-time defending champion...
Photoview all 26 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims