We have to work at building unity
I'm weary of hearing, reading and seeing black versus white, Republican versus Democrat, red versus orange, liberal versus conservative, North versus South, etc. My New Year's resolution was filled with hope that we could be a nation together again, but I suppose I'll have to wait for another national tragedy for that to happen.
NewsOK Related Articles
I wrote a majority of my doctoral dissertation about a former governor in Mississippi, William F. Winter, who sought and succeeded in his time by making the educational playing field level for all children. Trying to unite black and white was a huge challenge in that beautiful Southern state but Winter did so because he cared for the well-being of all. Mandatory school attendance and kindergarten for all were a part of his education reform act. As I look back and then look to the future perhaps we can capture the vision of those reformers who looked at the entire picture, not just those parts that we hear about, read about or see and visualize a picture of unity. As a servant leader, continuously learning and continually improving, I hope we will all go the extra mile, model the behavior that we expect, and follow the work ethic that I learned on a farm from my eighth-grade-educated father who said, “Son, sometimes you must start a little earlier and work a little later to get the job done with what you have.”
James Hawkins, Yukon
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister