Weeks, Smith lead Athletics over Padres
PHOENIX (AP) — Dan Straily made his major league debut before making his Cactus League debut. In Oakland's case, that's not unusual.
Jemile Weeks hit a leadoff home run in the first inning, Seth Smith later homered and the Athletics beat a split squad of San Diego Padres 11-6 on Wednesday.
Weeks, Smith and Jed Lowrie each had two hits and drove in two runs. Smith homered in the second as Oakland took a 7-2 lead.
Straily, who had never pitched higher than Single-A until last year, allowed two runs on two hits in 1 1-3 innings. He walked one and struck out one in his first big league spring appearance.
"There are quite a few guys like that," Straily said. "I talked to a few guys about that. There's no timidness here. We're part of the team and we came ready to work."
Straily ended last season in the Athletics" starting rotation, helping them win the AL West along with fellow rookies A.J. Griffin, Tommy Milone and Jarrod Parker.
Straily did not pitch during the AL division series but both Griffin and Milone made starts. Neither of them started a big league spring game until now.
"I feel like I've been before although I haven't," Straily said. "I'm getting ready for a long season. I'm getting ready to pitch."
Straily said he focused on his fastball, though he mixed in a handful of breaking pitches.
"I had to knock the rust off out," he said. "It's been a long two weeks waiting to get out there. I threw a lot of good pitches. I wasn't trying to get ahead of myself."
Cody Ransom homered and drove in two runs for San Diego. Travis Buck, who previously played for the A's, had two hits and drove in two runs. Padres starter Eric Stults gave up four runs on four hits and two walks in one inning.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 100558Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15302OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13338Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8709Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8075Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8036How to help tornado victims
- 7986Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort