Welcome to my world
The Oklahoma City Barons begin the American Hockey League season at 5 p.m. Sunday against the Texas Stars in Austin. The Barons have received several players from their NHL affiliate, the Edmonton Oilers, in the last week. The Oklahoman will visit one-on-one with veteran and young players as the season progresses.
Mark Arcobello, Oklahoma City Barons
* Position: Right wing
* Age: 23
* Height, weight: 5-9, 165
* Hometown: Milford, Conn.
* First professional contract: Arcobello was not drafted after a four-year career at Yale. He joined the Stockton Thunder of the Double-A East Coast Hockey League last season. Arcobello's play impressed Edmonton scouts — he had three different stints last season with the Barons. He finished with 22 points in 26 games with Oklahoma City. In between promotions from Stockton to Oklahoma City, Arcobello was named Most Valuable Player at the ECHL All-Star Game.
* What did you do during the offseason?
“One week, I went out to Los Angeles to visit my brother. That was fun. I did a lot of golfing, a lot of fishing. I would've liked to done more, but after training in the morning I was tired in the afternoon. It really wasn't that of an eventful summer. I skated. Worked out.”
* How much time do you take off after the season ends?
“You give your body a little time to relax, rest up. I'd say two or three weeks. You want to wind down, get back home.”
* Have you ever heard of the Oklahoma City Blazers?
“Yep. They were a Central League team, right? I heard they had a lot of fans here. They always had some pretty good turnouts.”
* Do you know who Joe Burton is?
* He had about 500 goals while playing for the Blazers.
“I'd say he had some pretty good years.”
* Have any bookmarks on your computer?
“AHL, NHL.com, both of those. Facebook, Twitter. Social media — I can look at that stuff for hours. Other than that, whatever I fall on.”
* What did you know about Oklahoma City before your first promotion last season?”
“I knew it would be a little warmer than back home. But other than that, I guess when you hear about Oklahoma, you think about football, cowboys and horses. You only know what you read and hear.”
* Are you a football fan?
“Oh, yeah. I love watching college football, NFL. I think as long as OU stays unbeaten that they'll be all right (in national title picture). I watched the Dallas Cowboys the other night. I have Tony Romo on my fantasy team. I wasn't sure if I should start him or not, because he has that rib injury. I didn't know if he was going to be able to perform. So I went with (Donovan) McNabb — I think he maybe got me 10 points.”
* Who else do you have on your fantasy team?
“I have (Matt) Forte, (Robert) Meachem, (Chris) Johnson — he hasn't done anything for me yet, so I'm a little upset there. I have Greg Olsen at tight end. But I'm 0-3. I'm brutal.”
* What kind of hockey memorabilia do have?
“I've got an autographed Mark Messier card. I collected hockey cards, obviously, as a young hockey player. I used to have an autographed hat from the (Hartford) Whalers, which is pretty cool. That stuff is still back home, probably in the attic or something.”