Wesselhoft wants guns on buses
Your dreams of taking a gun on a bus might just come true.
OKLAHOMA CITY – Legislation filed by state Rep. Paul Wesselhöft would eliminate a felony for law-abiding gun owners, he said.
Under current law, anyone found boarding a bus with a firearm, concealed or otherwise, would be guilty of a felony. House Bill 1558 would allow licensed gun owners to board a bus with their firearm without fear of reprimand.
“If we take the Second Amendment seriously, there is no reason why a concealed carry permit holder must be charged with a felony for simply boarding a public bus,” said Wesselhöft. “The data has shown again and again that it is rarely law-abiding gun owners who commit crimes.”
State Sen. Kyle Loveless, who will carry the legislation in the state Senate, said this is an issue of particular interest to urban Oklahomans.
“Buses are a common means of getting around in Oklahoma City and I believe we have nothing to fear from lawful gun owners. Gun ownership is a right given to us by the Second Amendment and as lawmakers, it is our duty to respect lawful gun owners and not treat them as criminals.”
The legislative session begins Feb. 4, 2013.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 82753Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 43754Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33000Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 23187Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 22920Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8406Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8041Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
- 7870Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7493Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 7427Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients