Wesselhoft wants guns on buses
Your dreams of taking a gun on a bus might just come true.
OKLAHOMA CITY – Legislation filed by state Rep. Paul Wesselhöft would eliminate a felony for law-abiding gun owners, he said.
Under current law, anyone found boarding a bus with a firearm, concealed or otherwise, would be guilty of a felony. House Bill 1558 would allow licensed gun owners to board a bus with their firearm without fear of reprimand.
“If we take the Second Amendment seriously, there is no reason why a concealed carry permit holder must be charged with a felony for simply boarding a public bus,” said Wesselhöft. “The data has shown again and again that it is rarely law-abiding gun owners who commit crimes.”
State Sen. Kyle Loveless, who will carry the legislation in the state Senate, said this is an issue of particular interest to urban Oklahomans.
“Buses are a common means of getting around in Oklahoma City and I believe we have nothing to fear from lawful gun owners. Gun ownership is a right given to us by the Second Amendment and as lawmakers, it is our duty to respect lawful gun owners and not treat them as criminals.”
The legislative session begins Feb. 4, 2013.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11434Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11103Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9903Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8455Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4574Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4269Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4107OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3554How to help tornado victims
- 3541Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3452Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients