West Virginia football: Mountaineers have tough stretch to start Big 12 play
Here is a quick primer on West Virginia's first season in the Big 12:
Last Year: 10-3, including a 70-33 win over Clemson in the Orange Bowl.
Videoview all videos
Feb 14What are some of the big changes for the 2012 football...
Feb 14The Cowboys have released their football schedule, and...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Coach: Dana Holgorsen (second season, 10-3)
Returning starters: Offense (8), Defense (6).
Outlook: Ranked in the top 15 in preseason polls, the Mountaineers, coached by Holgorsen, the former Oklahoma State offensive coordinator, could be one of the favorites in their debut season in the Big 12.
West Virginia will be led by quarterback Geno Smith (4,385 passing yards, 31 TDs). A senior, Smith broke nearly all of Marc Bulger's single-season school passing records.
Three standout wide receivers — Stedman Bailey, Tavon Austin and Ivan McCartney — combined for 222 receptions for 3,050 receiving yards and 23 touchdown catches.
The top five defensive players were seniors. With six returning starters on defense, it won't be a rebuilding project but the Mountaineers need some players to emerge to prevent being forced to win shootouts.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14862OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11951Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8347Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6661Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6166Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5685Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4422Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?