Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, defines it this way:
(or stay-cation, or stacation) is a neologism for a period of time in which an individual or family stays at home and relaxes at home or takes day trips from their home to area attractions. Staycations have achieved high popularity in current hard economic times in which unemployment levels and gas prices are high.
Common activities of a staycation include use of the backyard pool, visits to local parks and museums, and attendance at local festivals.
Benefits of a Staycation
So what can a staycation save me?
• Gasoline costs.
• Hotel costs.
• Air, rail, or other transportation costs.
• Restaurant costs.
• Souvenir costs.
And that can mean ...
• Less opportunity for arguing about where to go and what to do.
• Less preparation, packing and traveling.
• Less overall stress.
• More opportunity for fun.
• More opportunity for leisure.
So what are the basics of a staycation?
• What you want to do.
• When you want to do it.
• How much you want to spend.