What is true goodness?
"You kiss them if they are good," says Savannah, age 5. "A good person likes to hug," adds McCall, 5.
I'm all for kissing and hugging, but please remember that a kiss is not always the sign of goodness. Judas betrayed Jesus with a kiss.
"Good is never getting a spanking," says Seth, 5. There's no doubt that your parents have made an impression upon you, Seth.
"Goodness is a pup and a butterfly and a kitten. You can tell a good person from a bad one by the look on their face," says Courtney, 7.
I suppose our facial expressions give us away more often than we think, but some people know how to play poker, says Grayson, 5. "The bad person's mask is going to fall off. The good person doesn't have a mask."
Truly good people don't wear masks because they live from pure hearts. They're open and honest.
The Apostle Peter wrote that Christians should put aside "all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy and all evil-speaking." Instead, they should desire the "pure milk of the word" for accelerated spiritual growth.
Bad people "like broccoli, eat your lunch, laugh at people when they fall down, break stuff, don't share toys and wear black clothes," say several kids between ages 5 and 7.
There's a difference between doing bad things and being a bad person. We'll look at this, but first, let's hear another comment on bad actions: "The bad person pushes," says Brennan, 6.
Have you ever noticed how you get pushy when you're in a bad mood?
"The Bible says that man looks on the outside appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart," says Brittney, 11.
Outward deeds don't always reveal one's true spiritual condition. Jesus said the religious leaders of his day were like whitewashed tombs, beautiful on the outside but full of dead men's bones on the inside.
True goodness resides in the inner life.
We can fool people, but we can't hide anything from God.
"I am good because I do good things," says Marshall, 10. This is how most people define goodness, but it overlooks motivation.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 22176Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12149Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10702Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8951Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8805Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8651Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8107Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister