What OSU coach Mike Gundy looks for in recruits
One of the great aspects of Mike Gundy's program has been quality evaluation. It seems like Gundy and his coaching staff find recruiting gems each season. From Kendall Hunter to Justin Blackmon to Orie Lemon, OSU has a knack for projecting collegiate success for overlooked prep prospects.
Videoview all videos
Jul 7Jenni Carlson and Mike Sherman talk about the possibility...
Jun 17Did Les Miles pave the way to where OSU Football is today?
Photoview all 11 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Here are the some of the things Gundy said OSU looks for when evaluating recruits.
— Passion for football. “If football is important to them and they have some ability, they'll make it at this level. They can have a bunch of ability, but if football is not important to them, they won't make it, it's too hard. Football has to be important to them. If it's not important they aren't going to make it. We're limited in our contact, so it's different than five years ago and much different than 10 years ago, but if you really dig deep, talk and ask questions and listen, you can tell how important football is to a young man.”
— Character. “If I go recruiting and I'm in the school or in the home and I can tell the guy we are recruiting is disrespectful to his mom or a coach or somebody, then we're off him because if he's done that, he'll never make it here. There's no reason to bring him in here, it won't be good for him or us.”
— Has he reached his potential? “We try to make sure we realize which young men have maxed out their potential and which ones haven't. A lot of times in recruiting, guys get misled by seeing a young man that is a little more developed, then there is a guy sitting over here who hasn't even scratched the surface yet, so two years from now he's going to be a lot different. That's what we look for.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 33223Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15512Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9978Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9860Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9472Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8063Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8003Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister