Share “What to do when your Social Security card...”

What to do when your Social Security card is missing

Obtaining a replacement card is free
Oklahoman Published: July 27, 2014

Q: I can't find my Social Security card. How can I get a new one?

A: First, consider whether you really need a new card. You only need to apply for a replacement Social Security card if you don’t know your Social Security number or if you need to show your card to a new employer or other entity. If you decide that you do need a card, you can replace it for free in three easy steps.

Step 1: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).

Step 2: Show us documents proving your identity; and U.S. citizenship or immigration status.

Step 3: Take your completed application and original documents to your local Social Security office or your local Social Security Card Center. You’ll receive your replacement card in the mail in about 10 to 15 days.

You can find all the information you need, including what documents you will need to submit, online at

This column was prepared by the

Social Security Administration.

For fast answers to specific Social Security questions, contact Social Security toll-free at (800) 772-1213 or go online to


  1. 1
    Report: Williams Cos. investors file class action suit over ETE sale
  2. 2
    Undercover investigation into Tulsa house believed to be site of prostitution, drugs leads to two...
  3. 3
    Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond juggles new cookbook, cookware, show
  4. 4
    Oklahoma 8th-grader hit in crosswalk
  5. 5
    Student sent home from Edmond school after discovery of 'hit list'
+ show more


× Trending business Article