What we don't know about OU after two-a-days
NewsOK Related Articles
4. How much will Sooners use the Okie 50 defense?
Defensive coordinator Brent Venables installed the “50” defense the week of Bedlam to great success. In the “50,” the Sooners lined up one defensive tackle, two defensive ends and essentially lined up Jeremy Beal and Tony Jefferson as stand-up linebackers that could drop into coverage.
The Sooners have worked on both defenses during two-a-days. The “50” can be effective against spread offenses. OU's base “4-3” defense, though, is the better option against power, run-oriented teams. The Sooners will use the “50” this season. But how much?
5. Backup quarterback race. Is it Allen or Bell?
If Landry Jones suffers a long-term injury, the Sooners will be forced to go with an inexperienced backup. Coaches, though, like the progress made by sophomore Drew Allen and redshirt freshman Blake Bell.
Allen enters his third year in the system and was Jones' backup last season. Bell, though, was a highly touted recruit out of Wichita, Kan. Bell flashed potential in the spring, and coaches say he's taken his game to a new level this fall. The tiebreaker could be which quarterback the coaches feel can best minimize turnovers.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister