Copyright ©2012 The Associated Press. Produced by NewsOK.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
What's for lunch?
The two fried food lines of Deer Creek High School are chalk full of hundreds of students while the salad bar line has less than half that many students. This scene can be found in several schools in the area.Alanna Shack, a freshman at Deer Creek, describes the salad bar as serving “shriveled and withered” lettuce along with sandwiches made of dried out bread. For Deer Creek, lunches are divided into A, B and C. On the average Tuesday, the cafeteria runs out of baked potatoes before every student can get one. Obviously potato is a popular option and the kids want healthier food. “I wish they had more healthy options,” said Lauren Long, a Deer Creek sophomore. “It's hard to stay healthy with delicious cookies, muffins, French fries and candy in easy access.” Deer Creek isn’t the only school out there with unhealthy temptations. The Edmond High School lunch menu has hamburgers, pizza or a Chick-Fil-A sandwich available almost everyday. “I wish the school would post the nutrition facts for the foods they serve so that students have a better idea of what exactly they are eating,” said Amanda Rice, an Edmond Memorial senior. “This way, students could make informed choices about their lunches. I know that many students would appreciate better quality fruits and vegetables.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister