White House discourages layoff warnings

Associated Press Modified: October 3, 2012 at 4:17 pm •  Published: October 3, 2012
Advertisement
;

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House is going to great lengths to discourage defense contractors from sending layoff warnings to employees in the days before the presidential election, an effort Republicans are denouncing as politically motivated.

In the latest twist, the White House Office of Management and Budget issued a memo last week saying the government would cover the costs of any contractors that might face legal trouble if they have to lay off workers due to across-the-board spending cuts that kick in Jan. 2.

That guidance satisfied defense giant Lockheed Martin Corp., which said Tuesday it would not send notices telling workers they could lose their jobs if Congress can't find a way to prevent the automatic cuts, known as sequestration.

The Obama administration has sought to quell the fear of mass defense layoffs in presidential battlegrounds like Virginia, where letters sent in early November warning about the possibility of job losses could discourage thousands of defense workers from backing the incumbent.

The government's guarantee to foot the bill for legal problems, as long as contractors heed OMB's advice to refrain from warning about lob losses, is unusual.

"I don't know of any situation where the government has done this in the past," said William Gould, a labor professor at Stanford Law School.

Under the federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, employers of companies with 100 workers or more are required to provide notice 60 days in advance of a plant closing or mass layoffs. Otherwise, workers can sue to collect up to 60 days of back pay.

The administration's offer has outraged Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., who claims the White House is ignoring the law and putting the government on the hook for up to $4 billion in legal damages to workers who are laid off but fail to get adequate warnings.



Trending Now


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Did Pope Francis really tell a 90-year-old atheist journalist that 1 in 50 priests are pedophiles?
  2. 2
    Facebook and Twitter won the World Cup Final
  3. 3
    Dead body falls out of coroner's van along busy road
  4. 4
    Tracy Morgan: Recovering in style -- first pic since NJ turnpike crash
  5. 5
    Ex-captive Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl could return to active duty Monday
+ show more