Whitecaps' Jay DeMerit out with torn Achilles
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) — Vancouver Whitecaps captain Jay DeMerit has ruptured his Achilles tendon and will be out indefinitely.
The center back played the first seven minutes of Vancouver's season-opening 1-0 victory over Toronto FC on Saturday before leaving with the injury.
The team initially said he had a strained left calf. Coach Martin Rennie confirmed the more serious injury after practice.
DeMerit posted a picture of himself in the hospital on Twitter. He said he was "super bummed out" but staying positive.
The 33-year-old DeMerit is from Green Bay, Wis., and in his third year with the Whitecaps. He was coming off an All-Star season in 2012. He started 31 of Vancouver's 32 and helped lead the club to its first appearance in the MLS Cup playoffs.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments