Whitewater course design plans falling into place
Conceptual designs for a proposed white-water course alongside the Oklahoma River downtown include elements for users both novice and professional. Course design said he is basing it on previously ones developed in Charlotte, N.C., and used at last summer’s Olympics in London.
The mud red rivers and lakes in Oklahoma City may soon be overshadowed by a new, much more pristine water element.
Designers of a proposed white-water racing and training course on the Oklahoma River downtown said the facility, when built, stands to attract Olympic and professional training teams from across the country.
But just as significant, the rapids will be just one more attraction for kids and families citywide to spend some time outdoors in the city’s developing boathouse district, said Scott Shipley,...
View full article on Oklahoman.com
How do I get Full Access?
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 17094Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9372Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9356Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6811Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6759Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6251Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit