Why Northern Illinois over Florida State is this week's upset special
UPSET SPECIAL — A Florida State team that struggled to put away mediocre ACC teams is a 13-point favorite over a mid-major with something to prove. Beware of Northern Illinois.
Northern Illinois will be without its coach for the biggest football game in school history. Dave Doeren resigned to take the North Carolina State job.
NewsOK Related Articles
It's reminiscent of Cincinnati, which in 2009 went 12-0 to reach its biggest game ever, the Sugar Bowl against Tim Tebow and Florida, only for Brian Kelly to be already gone to Notre Dame.
Florida routed Cincy 51-24.
But that Florida team is not this Florida State team. These Seminoles struggled to put away a variety of mediocre ACC teams, including Georgia Tech in the conference title game.
Florida State will be without defensive coordinator Mark Stoops, who has become the head coach at Kentucky.
And Northern Illinois quarterback Jordan Lynch is quite the player, with 2,962 passing yards, 1,771 rushing yards and 43 touchdowns passing or running.
Florida State is a 13-point favorite, but let's go with Northern Illinois in the upset.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 83533Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16617OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12334Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11110Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8849How to help tornado victims