Wigan manager Martinez charged over ref criticism
LONDON (AP) — The English Football Association has charged Wigan manager Roberto Martinez for publicly criticizing a referee.
Martinez was unhappy about a penalty being awarded to Manchester United, and about Danny Welbeck avoiding a red card in Wigan's 4-0 loss on Sept. 15.
The FA says Martinez was charged over "media comments which implied that the match referee and/or match officials in general are motivated by bias and/or brought the game into disrepute."
Martinez described Welbeck's challenge on Wigan forward Franco di Santo as "completely reckless," claiming there were tackles "if they had been the other way round ... would have been a couple of red cards."
Martinez said that at Old Trafford, Wigan "don't seem to be measured in the same manner as the team at home."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 88863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16945OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12611Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12094Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 9737Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9076Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8890Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation