Wineries speculate on effects of state question to allow wine in grocery stores
If a constitutional amendment to allow some grocers to sell wine succeeds, it could have a ripple effect through businesses in the three tier system.
If wine is allowed on grocery store shelves, it would mark the first major change to the state's liquor laws in nearly three decades, an attorney for the Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission says.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
If I were to take a stance other than neutral, I would offend the hand that feeds me right now.”
A proposed state question would give Oklahoma counties with 50,000 or more residents the option of allowing certain grocery stores to sell wine. The state Supreme Court is examining two protests opposing the initiative petition and oral arguments are set for Thursday.
John Maisch, an attorney for the ABLE Commission, said if voters ultimately approve the measure, it would be the third major change to the state liquor laws.
The first was in 1959, when Oklahoma repealed prohibition and the second in 1984, when voters approved liquor by the drink — decided by individual counties (26 counties remain dry).
Allowing wine in grocery stores could pose some challenges, he said, because it would increase the number of outlets to enforce and increase youth access to alcohol. But because the proposal would only apply to large grocery stores in certain counties and restricts the number of stores, it's more manageable than originally thought, he said.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 12757Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9755Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9478Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6719Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4489Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4265Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates