Witness tells of seeing girls before they were shot
WELEETKA — Investigators have talked to a witness who reportedly saw Taylor Dawn Paschal-Placker, 13, and Skyla Jade Whitaker, 11, walking down an Okfuskee County road just before they were shot Sunday night, Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation agent Ben Rosser said today.
Rosser said at an afternoon news briefing that a handful of people have been interviewed and in some cases, polygraph tests were administered.
Investigators are continuing to interview people in connection with the killing of the two girls in rural Okfuskee County, Rosser said. But so far, no arrests have been made and investigators are still trying to determine the motive in the shooting deaths.
Rosser said the information gained didn't add much to the criminal investigation, but did help establish a timeline.
"We're looking for people who may have seen something out of the ordinary," he said.
Investigators have received numerous tips, but many haven't panned out, Rosser said.
Earlier today, the road where the girls were found was blocked off as investigators comb the crime scene again. Agents could be seen using global positioning devices and aircraft was used to survey the area, Rosser said. The road is expected to be closed for much of the afternoon.
In total, 14 investigators are working on the case, he said. Airplanes have also been used to comb the ditch and surrounding fields were the girls were found.
Taylor and Skyla were found shot to death in a ditch along a dirt road less than a mile from Taylor's home Sunday evening. They had gunshot wounds to the head and chest, according to the State Medical Examiner's Office.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11753Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10515Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9760Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9740Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6752Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4200Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4065Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates