Wizards franchise guard Wall 'in a funk right now'
Wall's slide is all the more surprising because of the lift he had given the team since returning from a knee injury. The Wizards were 5-28, threatening to have the worst season in NBA history, before Wall came back on Jan. 12. They've since gone 13-10.
But Wittman went with backup A.J. Price at point guard as the Wizards were rallying in the fourth quarter against the Pistons before finally reinserting Wall with 3:38 to play. Then, without naming names, the coach said afterward that players were complaining about minutes while on the bench.
Wittman was still irked by it Thursday, and he addressed it with his players.
"I revisited it with the whole team, not just John," Wittman said. "It's the whole team. Because at some point it might be John going through it today or yesterday or the day before, and somebody (else) is going to be faced with that tomorrow or the next day.
"'Til the earth stops spinning, there's going to be guys concerned about minutes," the coach said. "That's the nature of our business, but there's a time and a place to be concerned and have that question about minutes, and it's not during the game. If there's a question, come into my office the next day at practice, we can sit and talk about these things."
Singleton is one of several players who have experienced extreme swings in playing time this season, including a long stretch where he essentially dropped out of the rotation altogether. He said his advice to Wall is to stay positive. It also helps to know the right time to discuss things with the coach.
"Coach has an open door policy," Singleton said. "If you want to go talk to him, go talk to him. It's on you. ... It's not something you do during a game."
Follow Joseph White on Twitter: http://twitter.com/JGWhiteAP
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 22254Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17756Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12801Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10958Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10241Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9718Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8905OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures